Thursday, June 10, 2010


by MJ

I was in the 7th grade, and my science teacher was talking about going camping. I thought it would be fun to go out and be in ‘the wild,’ but when I asked my mom she thought I was joking. I told her more about it and she just said, “Okay Maya, if you want to go, then okay.” So I told my teacher, and it was okay for me to go on the trip. Two weeks later it was time for me to pack my bags and other things.

On the morning of the trip, I was excited, but nervous about leaving home. I was going to be with my friends for a week, so I was going to be okay I guess… Before I left, my mom gave me some money and a phone. She told me to call her if I needed something, but I wasn’t going to need her until I came back. When I got to the train station I saw Te’Raya, Ivy, Jack, Alex, Cookie, and others.

When we finally got on the train, it felt like for ever! I guess we were on the train for about four or five hours. When we got off, there was a big bus so everyone put their things on, and then we were off to Yosemite!!!

When we got there it was cool, dirty, and…I don’t know, but I was just happy to be there. Before we got to do anything else, we got into our groups. The people in my cabin were Te’Raya , Naomi, Miranda, and me. Two people, Te’Raya and Miranda, got the key to our “little house.” Later that day we played in the snow and had a snowball fight (it was so funny) and after that we got to meet our guide, whose name was Andy. Later we went to eat dinner. The food was okay if you ask me. Then it was time to go to sleep, and do you know what time we had to get up? 7:30!

In the morning, we walked and stopped to talk, and we had lunch, and then we when to a really big tree and we were trying to see how many people could fit in the tree. We fit maybe four or five people, and then we went to a lake. It was like an island in the middle, and we had to walk in the water. The water was so cold that some of us couldn’t feel our feet!

The other days, we just walked and talked about different things, and on the second to last day we hiked up to the Yosemite Falls, which was a long walk. When we came back, I was so tired I thought my legs were going to fall off. At dinner, two people were having an eating contest. It was so nasty! They had different things, and then someone put salt in someone’s else drink. It was funny and it wasn’t.

Friday was the last day at Yosemite. I was going to miss this place. Before we left, we went up to a rocky place and claimed all the way to the top. The view and really nice, and when we were walking back, it started to snow!!!

We went back and started to pack all our things and wait for everyone else. Then we were off to the train station, then on the train, and halfway home, and then the train stopped. No one knew what had happened, and then someone said a guy had gotten hit by the train, so we stayed there for three hours with nothing to do and no one to talk to at all. It was almost time to go, so I called my mother and told her what had happened. I told her we’d be there in an hour or something. When we made it back home my mom was at the train station with my cousin. We dropped Te’Raya off at home, and when I got home I went to sleep. When my sister woke me up the next morning, I couldn’t wait to tell her all about what had happened.

No comments: