Thursday, June 10, 2010

What a Surprise!

by I A-C


It started off like any other Thursday. I had to go to school, then come home and do some homework. By, “some,” I mean “as much as I could finish until I had to go to soccer practice.” The whole week had been so exciting to me, because it was going to be my birthday that Saturday. Usually I hate going to soccer practice, but this time was ok; I was really looking forward to telling people about what I had planned for my birthday. Which was going to be a silly string game, pizza and cake, and Blades of Glory.

I finished my homework, then put on my shorts, shin guards, and cleats. My mom’s friend came through the door just as I was leaving. She had come to help my mom clean the house for her other friend, Mary, who was supposed to come over to have dinner that night. I was happy to get out of the house so I wouldn’t have to help clean. Also, I was eager to do something to get my energy out.

When I got to practice, I had to help my coach carry goals, pinnies, and balls to the field. When we finished, we emptied out the balls and started the practice off with shooting on the goal. That practice, my dad was there to help my coach. When my dad is there I always have so much more fun than when he’s not. Having my dad there is great because he can focus on what I need to fix so I can do my best at my games.

When soccer practice was over I was very sweaty, so I knew that it had been a good practice. When we reached home and went into the building, I got really cold. I was about ten feet away from the door, which was already open. Then my little sister, Chloe, ran out and started to yell, “They’re here, they’re here!” She stopped and ran back into the house. When I got to the doorway I could hear my mom and Mary talking. And then the phone started ringing, so I ran to answer it. Right as I said hello, everyone jumped out from hiding behind a curtain and yelled, “SURPRISE!” I was very confused. The phone call was another one of the ladies wanting to be buzzed in to the building. It was like I was being pulled in four different directions.

The ladies, who have been friends of my family for years, were invited on the premise of sharing their wisdom and wisecracks. All of these ladies have known me and supported me for years, some even before I was born. My mom invited them to celebrate my 14th birthday. It was my mom’s way of celebrating my passage into womanhood. And I must say I was completely surprised.

While I was sitting there listening to the advice they were giving me, I saw my mom start to cry like a faucet that had a permanent leak. Then Chloe’s soccer coach, Beth, said, “I want to be just like Ivy.” Seeing what these awesome ladies thought of me made me realize how lucky I am to have the love and support that’s in my life. When Beth said that, I started to cry along with my mom. No one had ever told me they wanted to be like me before, especially someone who was older.

This party was the best thing that ever happened to me so far. It was amazing to celebrate my birthday with these women. I couldn’t wait to tell everybody about it at school the next day. Thanks to my mom, I’ll have this memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

No comments: