Saturday, May 30, 2009

Music and Middle School

by Jimothy

Throughout the course of middle school I have changed in several areas of my life. One of the areas that stands out the most for me is music. I have improved as a guitarist, my taste in music has changed, and my involvement with music has changed as well. All three years in middle school came with changes for my music career and me.

Sixth grade wasn't a very active year for me as far as music goes. However, it was the first time I ever played with a large group of musicians (the Claremont Middle School Band). My experience with the band was helpful because I learned how to read music, play with a band, and play in front of a crowd, all essential skills for a professional musician. Sixth grade was also my third year playing guitar.

Seventh grade was the year when music changed the most dramatically for me. My taste in music, involvement in music, and musical skill all changed. Seventh grade was my last year of involvement with the Claremont Middle School Band but was the beginning of my involvement with my own band, The Uncomfortables (previously called Fire the Manager and Bobby and the Uncomfortables, respectively). Also, my taste in music changed drastically during the year. I started seventh grade liking bands like The Red Hot Chili Peppers (light rock) and ended the year liking bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu (metal). Throughout the year my taste started leaning towards heavier and heavier music.

My final year in middle school was my most successful year as far as music is concerned. My taste in music changed even more and my band began to become more public. Concerning my taste in music, I started listening to even heavier music than before, but I also listened to a lot of reggae type bands like Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, and Bob Marley. My band also played several shows including: Rockridge Out and About, the Chabot Carnival, Ashkenaz, Redwood Day School, the Claremont Spring Fling, and Battle of the Bands. Although none of the shows were paying gigs, we were happy to gain more publicity.

Middle school is a tough transition for everyone, but music was one of the better parts for me. I hope to continue with my band through high school and keep on improving on guitar through the years. Middle school was good overall, but I’m glad it’s over.

2 comments:

kevin said...

oh an interest in music this is the first blog i read and talked bout music, alright brah

Anonymous said...

wow idk who u r but i like ur story